As programmatic continues to see expansive growth, 2022 will be another record-breaking year for digital media buying. According to eMarketer, the US digital ad market will surpass $300 billion by 2025, making up more than 75% of all media spending.
Read on to learn what changes are occurring, and how your agency or brand can take advantage of the emerging trends.
A Look Into the Programmatic Shifts That Will Shape the Year
In 2022 we are seeing shifts in the programmatic landscape that will shape the rest of the year. Here are three top-of-mind shifts that are important to note:
- A fragmenting market: The advertising landscape is fragmenting, which is leading to an increase in competition. Given this, marketers need to diversify their media by testing new partners and channels for performance.
- Shifts away from walled gardens: IOS 14 changes as well as Meta performance and targeting changes are leading to an increasing shift of ad spend away from walled gardens. There’s no better time than now to invest media dollars into programmatic channels.
- Improved reporting and attribution: New identity solutions are emerging that are bringing opportunities for data-driven insights which marketers can leverage for improved results.
Moving forward, these emerging trends will shape the future of the programmatic landscape in the coming years. By keeping on top of these trends, you can evolve your digital strategy to meet the changing needs of the modern consumer.
Programmatic Channels for Early Adoption
People are increasingly using their phones, laptops and internet connected TVs to consume content. As a result, we’re seeing growth in new channels like connected TV (CTV) and programmatic audio, which makes these go-to channels for marketers who are hoping to reach digital audiences.
Connected TV (CTV)
The fast growth of CTV offers independent agencies opportunities to reach or even exceed their clients’ advertising goals, and be seen as a strategic partner that delivers greater value. To the benefit of agencies, the cost of entry for CTV ads is much lower than with linear TV, CTV has a high adoption rate, impressive rate of increase, and the channel offers unique benefits.
Programmatic audio is programmatic advertising technology that automates the selling and insertion of ads into audio content, using a process similar to display advertising. With programmatic audio you can buy targeted ads from all the major audio publishers using one system. Audio advertising provides brands with the opportunity to reach audiences in screen-free moments in today’s highly mobile and connected consumer environment.
Advertising Trends to Watch in 2022
We’ve explored some of the emerging shifts and new channels to note in 2022. But when it comes to advertising, there are a few trends that are worth watching throughout the year. These trends offer exciting opportunities for marketers to diversify their advertising efforts and innovate their strategies.
Users don’t want to see the same ads over and over again. Fresh creatives that are unique and eye-catching will do a better job of capturing their attention. It’s also important to ensure your creatives provide a positive user experience. This way, they will be recalled for the right reason, bringing positive attention to your campaigns.
In 2020, the global video games advertising market was estimated to be worth just over 4 billion US dollars and is expected to reach 4.8 billion by 2024. And global consumer spend on mobile games is rising, too. These growing markets are driving big-budget publishers to invest in mobile gaming and in-game content, attracting interest from media companies that don’t typically run in-game ads.
Non-Fungible Tokens (NFTs)
The growing interest in the blockchain and NFT space is creating opportunities for new types of advertising agencies. Emerging agencies are offering services to NFT projects from launching their PR campaigns and running influencer marketing, to growth hacking. This category is definitely in its nascent beginnings, but global spending is expected to rise to $8.3 billion this year.
Brands from all categories are leaning into blockchain and NFTs, and advertisers should be preparing to help them amplify their messaging. Clients in this vertical may have big budgets, and so it’s worth considering approaching them. The best way to get started is by making sure that your agency is educated about blockchain technology and the future of NFTs.
Tips For Tapping into Programmatic Trends in 2022
In 2022, the advertising landscape will continue to fragment, leading to an increase in competition. For the best results this year, diversify and test new partners and new channels for performance. Here are some tips to get you started:
- Take advantage of multi-channel advertising. With a multi-channel strategy, you can reach consumers throughout the entire funnel, creating a cohesive story across channels like native, display, video, connected TV (CTV), and audio.
- Streamline your programmatic advertising efforts under one platform. Running campaigns from a single demand-side platform (DSP) will make it easier to plan, execute and analyze performance across all your channels, which in turn, will help you optimize your campaigns for the best results. Or, explore adding or expanding advertising capabilities to your platform with the StackAdapt API.
- Encourage your clients to test tactics that may be outside of their comfort zone. Test new formats, audiences, and channels, and use data to analyze how well the new tactics perform. Data-driven insights will help you and your clients build a digital strategy that caters to modern consumers.
Learn More about Programmatic Trends in 2022
If you’d like to learn more about the programmatic landscape and what to expect in the coming year, watch StackAdapt’s webinar, Advertising Trends to Watch in 2022.
Join Kevin Wallace and Pierce McManus from StackAdapt as they highlight what data tells us about upcoming trends.
Topics covered include:
- The growth and trajectory of digital advertising channels.
- Emerging verticals like virtual gaming, blockchain technology, NFTs and the impact on the advertising industry.
- What marketers can do to take advantage of nascent opportunities.
Access the recording, here.