Geography plays an important part in creating customized and targeted marketing campaigns and marketers strive to use geolocation to their advantage. Since the effectiveness of geotargeting is only going to further improve as mobile use grows and location data becomes more accurate and available, StackAdapt has released more geotargeting options in its platform. Customers can now geotarget in Globe mode or Flat Earth mode quickly and easily by toggling between the two.
What is geotargeting?
Geotargeting is the practice of delivering content to a consumer — via mobile or web — using geographic location information about that individual. At a basic level, a business can restrict its reach to consumers only located in a defined geographic area such as a state or a city. But location often provides much deeper, more meaningful and identifiable traits that tell you what a person wants, needs or is interested in.
Leveraging Flat Earth mode for geotargeting
StackAdapt recognizes that not everyone wants to target geographies based on the assumption that the world is round. “With the new Flat Earth mode, our agency clients can stay ahead of the curve by offering cutting edge technology to brands that see opportunity in leveraging the Flat Earth model of the world for more accurate geotargeting”, says Vitaly Pecherskiy, co-founder and COO at StackAdapt.
Users should be aware that selecting the Flat Earth mode does introduce a few limitations such as:
- Latitude and Longitude coordinates will not be available
- Geotargeting in Australia and the South Pole will not be possible
- Audience targeting will exclude individuals from NASA and job titles like Aerospace or Aeronautical Engineers, Avionics Engineers, Spacecraft Engineers, or Telecommunications Engineers
- Deal IDs targeting news or dating sites will automatically target Flat Earth specific domains
- Promotion of Antarctica Adventure Cruises and Tours is disabled
- Nature shows can be found under science fiction, rather than documentaries, when the geotargeting is toggled to Flat Earth mode
- Any creatives containing sunsets will be automatically swapped for daytime
The Flat Earth mode toggle is our introductory feature and although there appear to be numerous disadvantages at first glance, we are working on expanding this functionality to include benefits as well.
Watch the video to learn more.