New Survey Shows How Agencies are Considered, Evaluated and Finding New Methods for Satisfying Clients in the Programmatic Era
Toronto, ON – May 14, 2019 – StackAdapt (www.stackadapt.com), a provider of state-of-the-art software for digital advertising, today published new research showing how mid-market agencies can differentiate themselves and fulfill core client needs by delivering culturally-aligned, proactive, transparent, value-rich relationships.
StackAdapt’s report, “The New Programmatic Era: How Mid-Market Agencies Can Thrive,” was compiled from a survey conducted with ad industry business intelligence firm Advertiser Perceptions (www.advertiserperceptions.com). The complete report is available through your StackAdapt Representative.
In early 2019, StackAdapt and Advertiser Perceptions surveyed 200 agency and brand digital decision makers across the US and Canada with $1M+ total annual advertising spend in programmatic digital advertising. The survey reveals that:
- 80% of mid-size brand marketers ranked programmatic capabilities and optimization as most important when selecting an agency to partner with for digital advertising
- Marketers see mid-market agencies as more likely than larger agencies to have a culture of innovation (81% vs. 47%)
- Mid-market agencies are viewed by marketers as having a unique value proposition: creating capital through social interaction by providing a feeling of partnership that emerges through cultural alignment, transparency, trust and communication
- Marketers tend to be drawn to agencies that demonstrate partnership over rote execution
- Table stakes for marketers is that the agency has deep experience in their category (e.g., CPG, Auto, Finance)
“Unique, sought-after capabilities continue to surface around agency selection and consideration which works well for mid-market agencies who are agile, flexible and willing to embrace a test-and-trial period to determine whether the brand-agency relationship can grow and how deep the engagement is,” said Vitaly Pecherskiy, Co-Founder and COO, StackAdapt. “Mid-market agencies that up their game on the right capabilities are the most likely to deliver the agency-client partnership marketers are seeking.”
Go-to-Market Emphasis on Key Capabilities
StackAdapt’s report provides insights on how mid-market agencies compare with their larger competitors. ‘Communication’, ‘service’ and ‘account management’ were cited as key differentiating factors during interviews with marketers, with a preference for agencies that react quickly to client needs and campaigns. The survey results found that:
- Mid-market agencies place more emphasis on retaining and growing existing client relationships, whereas holding companies prioritize the acquisition of new clients
- Agencies are encouraged by marketers to be active voices and to speak up if they see client movement in the wrong direction
- Mid-market agencies are more likely to perceive themselves as providing strong consultative capabilities compared to holding companies (91% vs. 67%) and are twice as likely as holding companies to perceive themselves as partners to their clients (61% vs. 33%)
“This report validates that, strategically, we continue to move in the right direction and position ourselves well for growth against larger agencies,” states Nicholas Giustino, Director of Ad Operations, Arena Online. “We have always placed an emphasis on reacting more quickly to our clients’ needs in the changing digital advertising landscape.”
Even with agency consolidation, the rise of consultancies and a shift to in-housing, the mid-market agency opportunity can be significant. This study shows that the advantages mid-market agencies bring to the table align well with marketer needs and are a key distinction from larger agencies.
StackAdapt’s solution to help mid-market agencies thrive is a self-serve programmatic advertising platform coupled with a dedicated team consisting of an Account Manager, Customer Success Manager, Programmatic Analyst and Campaign Optimization Manager assigned to each and every customer.
To obtain a copy of the complete report, please contact your StackAdapt Representative.
About Advertiser Perceptions
Advertiser Perceptions is the global leader in research-based business intelligence for the advertising industry. Their exclusive insights, practical advice and knowledgeable guidance produce actionable solutions that deliver results and enable their clients to thrive in today’s complex and competitive advertising market.
StackAdapt is a self-serve programmatic advertising platform used by North America’s most exceptional digital marketers. This state-of-the-art platform is where some of the most progressive work in machine learning meets cutting-edge user experience. Ad buyers plan, execute, and manage data-driven digital advertising campaigns across all devices, leveraging proprietary data, inventory and publisher partners.