Check out the results of StackAdapt's new original study in partnership with Leger Research: How Consumers Buy on Mobile in 2017.
StackAdapt is the omnichannel advertising solution of choice for hundreds of brands across North America. As part of our mandate to accelerate customer acquisition, we feel an obligation to ensure our clients are able to make the most informed decisions possible through up to date research on technological growth & maturity, incoming trends, best practices and more.
For the following study, we partnered with Leger Research to bring attention to the current state of mobile marketing: the rise of mobile commerce; the barriers preventing digital marketers from fully embracing this rise; and the consumers waiting on a more sophisticated experience.
Download the infographic HERE.
- 53% of consumers use their smartphones to make online purchases
- Only 11% of consumers make more than half their online purchases using mobile
- The majority of consumers using smartphones to complete purchases are university educated, Generation X or Millennials (between 18-44 years of age) with high annual earnings of approximately $80k
- 47% of consumers make no purchases on mobile
- Female consumers in households with children under the age of 18 are more likely to make online purchases on their mobile device than men
- Younger consumers who use their mobile device to make purchases are most likely to buy entertainment, digital products, clothes, services and financial products
- 4 out of 20 consumers use their mobile to purchase
- 43% of mobile consumers buy entertainment
- 41% of mobile consumers buy digital products
- 39% of mobile consumers buy consumer goods
- More than 82% of consumers who use mobile to make online purchases say at least one thing prevents them from making an actual purchase
- 54% say their smartphone's screen is the biggest barrier to purchase
- 33% blame poor landing page experience for not making a mobile purchase
- 35% of mobile consumers browse the web in incognito mode
- 34% of consumers never use incognitio mode
- 43% of consumers using mobile to make online purchases delete their cookies one a month
- More than 38% of consumers say they almost always discover a product on mobile but make the actual purchase on a bigger device (Desktop/tablet/laptop)
Based on the survey results of over 1,500 Canadians, the future of e-commerce is most definitely m-commerce. More than half of all purchases are completed on a mobile device (53%), with university educated, 18-44 year olds, and households with children under the age of 18 leading the pack.
Why is this so important? The M in m-commerce stands for more than mobile, it also represents Millennials and young mothers willing to spend money through the convenience of their smartphone. Millennials are the largest cohort in history and those who can effectively monetize this group will own the modern economy in years to come.
The findings also point to a lack of sophistication in how brands are currently utilizing mobile real estate. A lack of innovation is hindering marketers from taking advantage of mobile’s explosive growth. Relying on archaic marketing stacks and traditional creative to track today’s buying patterns is leading to widespread disillusionment in marketers and consumers alike. It’s time to kick traditional marketing tactics to the curb, improve relevancy, attribution models, and the mobile buying experience for each individual customer.